- 1 Best Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth Xerostomia
- 2 What is Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
- 3 Symptoms of Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
- 4 Causes of Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
- 5 Medications:
- 6 Age:
- 7 Cancer Treatment or Cancer Therapy
- 8 Injury or Surgery
- 9 Tobacco and Alcohol Use
- 10 Dehydration
- 11 Exercise or Playing in the heat:
- 12 Other Health Conditions:
- 13 Complications
- 14 How to Prevent Dry Mouth
- 15 What to Do
- 16 What to Avoid
- 17 Dry Mouth Treatment: Tips for Controlling Dry Mouth
- 18 Frequently Asked Questions:
In this article of Homeo Expert, we shall discuss the Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth or best Homeopathic medicine for dry mouth.
Best Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth Xerostomia
First of all, we should know what is dry mouth and causes of dry mouth then we shall discuss Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth.
What is Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
Dry mouth or Xerostomia is a condition in which your salivary glands do not work effectively. The function of salivary glands is to make saliva in order to keep our mouth wet. It can occur due to the side effects of different medicines and aging issues. Additionally, it can be a result of cancer or radiation therapy. It seldom happens that this condition affects the salivary glands directly. Therefore, we can conclude that Xerostomia is a medical term that means dry mouth due to lack of saliva.
Saliva can prevent the decay of tooth by neutralizing the acids which are produced by bacteria. It limits the growth of bacteria and washes away the food particles. Saliva also enables you to taste and it has become an easy to task to chew and swallow. The enzymes in saliva are also helpful in digestion. Decreased saliva can affect not only on your general health but also the health of your teeth and gums. It also affects your appetite and enjoyment of food as well.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
- Bad breath
- Inflammation or cracking of the lips
- Cracking and fissuring of the skin of the corners of the mouth or soreness
- Dryness in mouth
- Taste disorders
- Fungal infections in the mouth
- Painful tongue
- Increased need to drink water
- Lipstick sticking to teeth
- Tongue ulcers or inflammation of the tongue
- Frequent gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Problems in speaking
- Problems in chewing and swallowing including dry food
- Tongue sticking to the palate
- Salivary gland infection
- Sore throat
- Problems wearing dentures
Causes of Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
Dry mouth is a condition that occurs when the salivary glands in the mouth do not make enough saliva to keep our mouth wet. The salivary glands may not work as a result of these:
There are many prescriptions and medications which can cause dry mouth or Xerostomia as a side effect. In this context, we can include the medicines of depression, high blood pressure and anxiety. It also includes anti-depressants, muscle relaxants and painkillers.
Aging can be another cause of dry mouth. There are several contributing factors are also available which gives rise to this condition. It includes medications because elderly people use more medications than the younger ones. Those who have long-term health problems and having inadequate nutrition.
Cancer Treatment or Cancer Therapy
Chemotherapy drugs have the ability to change the nature of saliva and its produced amount. It can be temporary and you may get relief after the completion of the treatment. Radiotherapy of head and neck lead to the damage of salivary glands. It can be temporary or permanent because it depends on the dosage of radiation.
Injury or Surgery
An injury or surgery is another cause of dry mouth which can damage your nerves and results in Xerostomia.
Tobacco and Alcohol Use
If you are chewing or smoking tobacco, it can become the cause of dry mouth symptoms. Drinking alcohol is another cause of Xerostomia.
It is caused by lack of sufficient fluids in the body.
Exercise or Playing in the heat:
If you are exercising or playing in the heath, there is a chance that the salivary glands become dry. In this condition, fluids concentrate on somewhere else in the body.
Other Health Conditions:
Dry mouth or Xerostomia can occur due to several health conditions. It includes Diabetes, anxiety disorders, Depression, HIV, Parkinson and snoring. Additionally, if you sleep with open mouth it can become a cause of Xerostomia too.
If you leave it untreated, it will bring complications as a reward for you. It can cause:
- Fungal infections
- Discomfort in mouth
- Depression and restlessness
- Altered taste
- Mouth Sores
- Tooth Decay and Gum disease
How to Prevent Dry Mouth
There are several important points to keep in mind.
What to Do
- Drink adequate amount of water daily.
- Take great amount of nutritious food.
- Use room humidifier in very hot and dry climates.
- Take care of snoring because it leads to mouth breathing and you need to avoid it.
- Wash your mouth after having the meal to maintain cleanliness.
- Chewing process or Mastication can improve saliva secretion, you can do it while eating so chew well.
- Take care of every disease in the beginning and avoid dehydration.
What to Avoid
- Avoid dry foods and take food that contains good amount of gravy.
- Exposure to wind, dust and also smoke.
- Spicy and very hot food.
- Drinks and fast foods
- Avoid breathing through the mouth
Best Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth or Xerostomia
Bryonia is one of the best homeopathic remedies for dry mouth or Xerostomia with Thirst
Bryonia is also helpful in dryness or dry mouth if there is a symptom of thirst of large quantity of water.
Arsenic Alb is also one of the best homeopathic remedies for dry mouth
It is also useful in dry mouth or Xerostomia if it is accompanied by the thirst of small quantity of water. The patient wants to drink water at short intervals.
Iris vers, Kali Bich, Pulsatilla, Apis, Merc Sol, Nitric Acid are rest of the homeopathic remedies for dry mouth or Xerostomia.
Dry Mouth Treatment: Tips for Controlling Dry Mouth
To relieve your dry mouth:
- Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free hard candies to encourage the flow of saliva. For some people, xylitol, which is often present in sugar-free gum or sugar-free candies, may cause diarrhea or cramps if consumed in large amounts.
- Restrict your caffeine intake because caffeine can make your mouth dry.
- Do not utilize mouthwashes that contain alcohol because they can also dry mouth.
- Stop all tobacco use if you smoke or chew tobacco.
- Sip water on a regular basis (12 Glass per day minimum).
- Breathe through your nose, not your mouth.
- Add moisture to the air at night using a room humidifier.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is there a Cure for Dry Mouth?
Yes, homeopathic medicine for dry mouth gives permanent cure to dry mouth.
What Can Cause Dry Mouth at Night?
Lack of saliva often caused by open mouth during sleeping like snoring. Emotional causes are another factor including stress and side effects of medicines can also cause dry mouth.
What Vitamin Deficiency causes Dry mouth?
Deficiency of Vitamin B2 and B3 can cause dry mouth.
How do you get rid of dry mouth or relieve your dry mouth?
- Tips for controlling dry mouth
- Chew sugar free gum
- Limit your caffeine intake
- Do not use mouthwashes that have alcohol
- Stop tobacco use
- Sip water regularly
- Avoid surgery
- Brush with a fluoride toothpaste
What foods are good for dry mouth?
- Avoid dry foods including dry meat, pastries and snack foods which are dry and salty
- Avoid citric fruit and juices such as orange and tomato
- Do not use sodas
- Use Yogurt and fresh fruit
Note: Medicines mentioned here are for information purpose only. Kindly do not self-medicate.
Fill the Comment Form below.
You can write about your problem To Dr. Arsalan Rauf and receive a reply on How Homeopathy can help in treating your disease or illness.
Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Mouth,
homeopathic medicine for dry mouth,
dry mouth treatment in homeopathy,
Homeopathic remedies for dry mouth,
Best homeopathic medicines for dry mouth,
homeopathic treatment for dry mouth,
dry mouth and homeopathy,
homeopathic treatment of dry mouth,
Top homeopathic medicine for dry mouth,
homeopathic remedy for dry mouth,
Top homeopathic remedies for dry mouth,
Homeopathy for dry mouth,
homeo treatment of dry mouth,
dry mouth and its homeopathic treatment,
dry mouth treatment with homeopathic medicines,
I had accomplished D. H. M. S in 2008, I have been into practice (in Rawalpindi & Islamabad) since 9 years. During my practice, I have been treating acute as well as chronic disorders. I had also completed MHS (Masters of Human Sexuality) in 2014 from SAIHS. Dengue fever, Developmental Delay and Paralysis attract my attention, therefore, I love to solve these cases.
Apart from Homeopathy, I am M.A in English Literature from Punjab University. I have been teaching English at Post Graduate National College Rawalpindi for 3 years. So I am holding two noble professions. I have written more than 4500 articles on different subjects. To be more specific I have authored different websites as well.