- 1 What is Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- 2 What are the Causes of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- 3 What are the Risk Factors for Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- 4 What are the Signs and Symptoms of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- 5 What are the Stages of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- 6 What are the Complications?
- 7 Homeopathic Remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
What is Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
Hidradenitis Suppurativa is a chronic skin condition that results in small, painful lumps forming under the skin. The lumps can break open and discharge fluid or pus and the smell of it is offensive in nature. It may cause tunnels to form under the skin from connection of these lumps. It usually develops in the areas where the rubbing of the skin is involved such as armpits, the area under the breast or groin. Homeopathic treatment for Hidradenitis Suppurativa is an ideal choice that can heal the lumps, nodules, cysts and boils in both acute and chronic cases. This condition is not a form of acne but it is also referred to as acne inversa. Hidradenitis Suppurativa is not contagious. It means it cannot be transferred to another person through skin contact.
What are the Causes of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
The exact cause of this condition is not known yet. It is neither a result of an infection nor arises from poor hygiene. It develops due to the blockage of hair follicles.
What are the Risk Factors for Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
- Genetics: Genetics is a vital element that can cause this condition because the condition is seen to run in families.
- Age: Age is another factor that can cause HS and it occurs between the ages of 18 and 29. It means it begins after puberty.
- Overactive Immune System: It is another factor that can result in HS, it happens when your immune system is oversensitive to little infections in the clogged hair follicles.
- Gender: Women are more likely to develop this condition as compared to men.
- Being Overweight
- Acne (Pimples)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Excessive fat around the waist
- High levels of triglycerides
- Low levels of good cholesterol
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative colitis
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
HS can be developed in one or several areas of your body. The most common areas that are involved in HS are armpits, area under the breast, groin, inner thighs, between buttocks and anal region.
- Red, pimple like bumps on the skin
- Deep nodules (solid, elevated under the skin)
- Cyst (a lump consists of fluid or other substance) under skin
- Painful lumps
- Boils or pus filled bumps
- Itching on the bumps is another sign
- Draining of pus, fluid or blood that is offensive in nature
- Tunnels may follow the lumps with the passage of time
- The bumps keep going away and coming back
- The bumps may develop on the same site or may change the location
This medical condition may become worse from hormonal changes, stress, heat, being overweight and smoking.
What are the Stages of Hidradenitis Suppurativa?
The condition can be divided into three stages keeping in view the Hurley clinical staging system and it depends on its severity.
- Stage 1: This stage has single or multiple nodules / lesions with little scarring
- Stage 2: This stage has a single or multiple lesions / nodules along with limited tunneling and little scarring.
- Stage 3: This stage has many bumps with extensive scarring and tunneling develop in the entire area of the body.
What are the Complications?
If the condition is left untreated or the severe cases of HS has some complications.
- The affected skin area is more likely to develop infection.
- Scarring/pitting on the healed part of the skin and thickening of the scar.
- It also restricts your movement with painful bumps and the scan affects the axilla.
- A fistula is also developed inside the body, HS causes hollow passages
- Swelling in arms or legs can develop if the lesions or scars develop near the lymph nodes restrict the drainage of lymph.
- People with HS suffer from depression and tend to isolate them because of drainage from the lesion and its offensive odor.
- When Hidradenitis Suppurativa is advanced and severe, there is a rare chance of skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma).
Homeopathic Remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
Homeopathic mode of treatment is very effective in treating the cases of hidradenitis suppurativa. These natural remedies not only cure the condition but also stop the recurrent tendency of skin lesions. Furthermore, these remedies reduce the pain, heal the lesions and also eradicate the pus discharges. The medicines are produced from natural substances and hence they are devoid of side effects.
Silicea – Top Rated Homeopathic Medicine for Lumps, Cyst, Nodules, Boils
Silicea is the leading homeopathic remedy to treat such cases. It is an ideal choice to cure boils, nodules, lumps, cysts under the skin. Silicea is highly recommended in cases of boils when there is a pus discharge that can be slight or excessive in nature. This homeopathic remedy also acts well in cases of thin watery discharge or brownish discharge. Furthermore, the discharges of this remedy are offensive in nature.
Hepar Sulph – Best for Painful Boils
It is a very helpful homeopathic medicine when it comes to dealing with painful boils. The patient complains of pain that can be throbbing or beating in nature. The pain becomes worse at night. Additionally, the boils contain inflammation, heat and swelling over them. The patient who needs Hepar Sulph may have pus discharge from boils and it is blood-stained and offensive in nature. The person who needs this medicine may have a tendency to pimples or acne. The pimples often contain pus.
Myristica – For Speedy Recovery of Boils
This remedy is produced from the plant known as Myristica Sebifera. It belongs to the family of myristicaceae. This remedy can be used as an alternative to Silicea and speed up the recovery of boils. It has the ability to hastening the process of pus formation and result in quick recovery. This homeopathic remedy can also prevent surgery if it is recommended timely.
Belladonna – For Initial Stage of Boils with Heat and Swelling
This homeopathic remedy is produced from a plant known as deadly nightshade. It belongs to the family of solanaceae. It is considered in the initial stages of boils when heat and swelling are associated with it. The affected area of the skin is sensitive to touch in these cases. There is another specific symptom to prescribe this medicine is recurrent and periodical boils that recur every year during the spring season.
Calcarea Sulph – For Boils with Yellow Pus Discharge
It is also top rated homeopathic remedy to treat boils. This remedy is indicated where the pus is yellow-colored. It is an ideal remedy to cure both acute and chronic cases. It also has the ability to break the tendency to recurrent boils.
Sulphur – For One Healed Boil Followed by Another Boil
This medicine is recommended in cases of boils when a boil in one place heals and is attended by another boil at a different location. The boil may discharge pus and at times it is blood stained. The discharge is yellow in color and offensive in nature. Additionally, the boil is very painful and also inflamed. Apart from the previous features, this homeopathic medicine is also suitable for boils that come in crops and develop in different body parts.
Conium – For Nodules / Lumps & Cysts
Homeopathic medicine Conium is highly recommended in cases where cysts, nodules / lumps develop under the skin. They are hard in nature. It is an effective remedy to dissolve the lumps, cysts and nodules and the process is completed gradually.
Rhus Tox – For Discharge of Blood Stained Pus
Rhus Tox is considered when there is blood stained discharge from the boil. The boil is swollen and painful to touch. The nature of the pain is stinging.
Merc Sol – For Discharge of Yellow Green Pus
It is indicated when the lumps discharge yellow green pus. It is followed by stinging, burning pain. Formation of boil in females during the menstrual cycle is another specific symptom to consider while prescribing Merc Sol.
Phytolacca – Homeopathic Medicine for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
This remedy is produced from a plant known as Phytolacca decandra commonly known as poke root. The family of this plant is phytolaccaceae. It is highly recommended to cure cases of hard, painful nodes / lumps under the skin. Apart from the previous features, it is also indicated in boils with burning pains. These pains become worse at night when this medicine is needed. The discharge may be watery and offensive in nature. This medicine also speeds up the process of pus formation to guarantee the recovery in such cases.
Note: Medicines mentioned here are for information purpose only. Kindly do not self-medicate.
Click the Whatsapp Button to Contact us.
You can write about your problem To Dr. Arsalan Rauf and receive a reply on How Homeopathy can help in treating your disease or illness.
I had accomplished D. H. M. S in 2008, I have been into practice (in Rawalpindi & Islamabad) for more or less 12 years. During my practice, I have been treating acute as well as chronic disorders. I had also completed MHS (Masters of Human Sexuality) in 2014 from SAIHS. Dengue fever, Developmental Delay, Urethral Stricture, Sexual dysfunctions and disorders in males as well as females attract my attention, therefore, I love to solve these cases.
Apart from Homeopathy, I am M.A in English Literature from Punjab University. I have been teaching English at Post Graduate National College Rawalpindi for 5 years. So I am holding two noble professions. I have written more than 6000 articles on different subjects. To be more specific I have authored different websites as well.