- 1 What is Amenorrhea?
- 2 What are the Causes of Amenorrhea?
- 3 Primary Amenorrhea
- 4 Causes of Primary Amenorrhea
- 5 Secondary Amenorrhea
- 6 Causes of Secondary Amenorrhea
- 7 What are the Symptoms of Amenorrhea?
- 8 Homeopathic Medicines for Amenorrhea
- 9 Pulsatilla – Top Homeopathic Medicine for Amenorrhea
- 10 Sepia – Another Useful Homeopathic Medicine for Absent Menses
- 11 Senecio Aureus – For Absent Menses in Young Girls
- 12 Joanesia Asoca – For Suppressed and Scanty Menses
- 13 Ignatia – Homeopathic Remedy for Suppressed Menses from Grief
- 14 Natrum Mur – For Absent Menses with Hair Loss
- 15 Phosphorus – Homeopathic Medicine for Amenorrhea with Milky Discharge from Nipples
- 16 Graphites – For Tendency of Late and Scanty Periods
- 17 Conium – Homeopathy for Amenorrhea with Tendency of Late and Short Periods
- 18 Oleum Jec – For Amenorrhea with Hirsutism
What is Amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea stands for the absence of menstrual periods in females who are of reproductive age means the span between puberty and menopause. The normal menstruation cycle starts in girls during puberty between the age of 9-15 years, the puberty age may vary in terms of areas. Then the menstrual cycle occurs every month on a regular basis till the women reach menopause. Menopause is the age when the periods of the women stop naturally. Usually, it happens around the age of 45 years. When women between the stage of puberty and menopause do not get periods for almost three consecutive months or more than three months have amenorrhea. Homeopathic medicines for amenorrhea help to regularize the periods of a female by correcting the hormonal imbalance in a safe and natural manner.
Amenorrhea itself is not a disease but it can develop due to a number of reasons. It can occur during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Other than these causes, missed periods can indicate some underlying health conditions.
What are the Causes of Amenorrhea?
There are two main types of amenorrhea including primary and secondary amenorrhea.
A female who has not started her menstrual cycle by the age of 16 years, it is known as primary amenorrhea. It needs medical attention too.
Causes of Primary Amenorrhea
- Congenital absence of uterus or fallopian tubes or any other structural abrnomality in female reproductive system
- Vaginal atresia (it is another cause in which the vagina of the female is abnormally absent or closed
- Problems of pituitary gland
- Premature ovarian failure
- Androgen sensitivity
- Imperforate hymen (in normal condition, vagina is surrounded by thin membrane known as hymen that has a small opening in the center. In imperforate hymen, the opening in this membrane is absent and it blocks vaginal canal.
- Turner syndrome (this condition can result in lack of some part or entire of one of the two X chromosome and ovaries are replaced by scar tissue and causes low production of estrogen
When you have regular periods but after some time if you miss your monthly menstrual periods for 3 straight months then it is known as secondary amenorrhea.
Causes of Secondary Amenorrhea
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one of the main causes of it
- The next cause is the use of oral contraceptive pills also known as birth control pills
- Use of certain types of IUD (intrauterine devices)
- Some other medications that can cause amenorrhea are antidepressants, antipsychotics and blood pressure control allopathic medicines
- An issue with thyroid function
- Excessive weight loss
- Sudden weight gain
- Eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia)
- Poor nutrition
- Intense exercise
- Tumors in ovaries
- Scarring/adhesions in the uterus
- Pituitary tumors
- Surgical removal of uterus or ovaries can also cause it
- A family history of secondary amenorrhea may also lead to it
- Premature menopause can also cause it, the common age of menopause is around 45 and if it happens before 40 years it is called premature menopause
- Certain physiological causes in which the females do not menstruate that is pregnancy, breastfeeding and menopause
What are the Symptoms of Amenorrhea?
There are some symptoms that can occur with the missed menses depending on the cause behind it.
- Acne (pimples)
- Pelvic pain
- Milky discharge from nipples
- Hair fall
- Facial hair (hirsutism)
- Vision changes
Homeopathic Medicines for Amenorrhea
Females suffering from secondary amenorrhea can be treated well with the help of homeopathic remedies. They eradicate the root cause of the suppressed menses and bring periods. These natural remedies also manage the symptoms associated with suppressed menses including pelvic pain, hair fall, facial hair, milky discharge from the nipples, headache and acne(pimples). Homeopathic remedies are devoid of side effects due to their natural origin.
Pulsatilla – Top Homeopathic Medicine for Amenorrhea
Pulsatilla is produced from the plant known as Pulsatilla Nigricans commonly called wind flower. It belongs to the family of ranunculaceae. It is very beneficial in cases of missed periods. It is also prescribed to bring menses in females who miss their menses often. In these cases, the females tend to get menses always late. Additionally, the flow of the periods is also scanty in nature. The bleeding may be clotted, black, watery or thin in nature. Headache is also present because of the suppressed menses. The patient needing this remedy also complains of painful periods even since puberty. Nausea, chilliness and vomiting are also present along with pain. The patient of this medicine may also experience milky discharge from nipples during amenorrhea. Acne is another issue that can be associated with menstrual irregularities in such patients. Homeopathic medicine Pulsatilla not only regularizes the periods but also corrects the hormonal disturbances effectively.
Sepia – Another Useful Homeopathic Medicine for Absent Menses
Homeopathic medicine Sepia is one of the major homeopathic remedies for amenorrhea. This medicine also has the ability to correct the hormonal imbalance like Pulsatilla. The patient of this medicine complains of missed menses for many months. At times, she gets the periods around three times a year. The past history of the periods is usually scanty in nature. There is a violent pain in the abdomen before menses. Pimples also occur in these patients before menses. Furthermore, sadness before periods is another prominent symptom to consider. There is another characteristic symptom of this remedy that is, violent bearing down pain/ sensation in pelvic region. It is also prescribed when there is a vaginal discharge from the vagina instead of menses. The patient also complains of unwanted facial hair along with the above symptoms.
Senecio Aureus – For Absent Menses in Young Girls
Senecio is produced from the plant Golden ragwort. The plant belongs to the family of compositae. It is an ideal remedy to treat amenorrhea in young girls. They feel as if periods would appear but fail. Furthermore, they also feel backache or pain in the shoulders with suppressed periods.
Joanesia Asoca – For Suppressed and Scanty Menses
It is produced from the bark of an Indian tree Ashoka. The plant belongs to the family of caesalpinioideae. It is one of the natural remedies that is being used since ancient times to cure amenorrhea, menstrual problems and scanty menses. In homeopathy, it serves the same purpose including irregular periods, suppressed periods and scanty periods. The patient of this medicine also complains of headaches due to suppressed menses. It is also prescribed when there is a pain in the lower abdomen, backache, pain in the head and thighs is present due to scanty flow of menses.
Ignatia – Homeopathic Remedy for Suppressed Menses from Grief
Ignatia is also from the plant kingdom and produced from the plant known as Ignatia Amara also known as St. Ignatius Bean. It belongs to the family of loganiaceae. It is the best medicine to treat suppressed menses of this modern age where everyone is filled with grief. It works wonders in cases of suppressed menses from grief. Furthermore, the patient of this medicine is depressed, sad along with weeping spells. When menses are suppressed due to grief Ignatia helps to bring the menstrual flow in such cases.
Natrum Mur – For Absent Menses with Hair Loss
Natrum Mur is an ideal choice in cases of amenorrhea and hair loss. The menses of the patient are suppressed. The periods occur late and when they occur profusely in nature. The flow of menses is thin, watery and pale. Headache is also felt before and after periods. Hair loss is a prominent symptom with the above features. If Ignatia fails, homeopathic medicine Natrum Mur works well in suppressed menses due to grief.
Phosphorus – Homeopathic Medicine for Amenorrhea with Milky Discharge from Nipples
Homeopathic medicine Phosphorus works well in cases where menses are absent along with milky discharge from nipples. The patient of this medicine gets menses very late but they are profuse in nature. Furthermore, they can last longer than the normal duration. The menstruation is bright red in color. Severe back pain is also present with pain in the ovaries during menses. After menstruation the patient feels great weakness and also gets burning, smarting vaginal discharges.
Graphites – For Tendency of Late and Scanty Periods
This remedy is beneficial when menses occur late and are scanty in nature. The periods are associated with violent pain. The color of the menstrual blood is dark sometimes blackish and thick in nature. At times, the patient also experiences gushing vaginal discharges. Additionally, the patient of this medicine may experience heaviness in arms and legs due to suppressed menses.
Conium – Homeopathy for Amenorrhea with Tendency of Late and Short Periods
It is another useful remedy for suppressed periods in females. The females who need this medicine have a tendency of late periods and the menses also last for a short time. The menstrual blood is clotted and they are also scanty in nature. Additionally, the patient may complain of swelling and pain in the breast during menses. There is an additional complaint they also have is small red pimples on the body during menstruation. Itching in the vagina is attended with menses.
Oleum Jec – For Amenorrhea with Hirsutism
Oleum Jec is an ideal homeopathic medicine for suppressed menses. Furthermore, the medicine also has the ability to improve the menstrual blood flow. This medicine acts well in cases of facial hair in females. The patient of this medicine may also have soreness in the ovaries. Lastly, the patient may also have a symptom of painful menses.
Note: Medicines mentioned here are for information purpose only. Kindly do not self-medicate.
Click the Whatsapp Button to Contact us.
You can write about your problem To Dr. Arsalan Rauf and receive a reply on How Homeopathy can help in treating your disease or illness.
I had accomplished D. H. M. S in 2008, I have been into practice (in Rawalpindi & Islamabad) for more or less 12 years. During my practice, I have been treating acute as well as chronic disorders. I had also completed MHS (Masters of Human Sexuality) in 2014 from SAIHS. Dengue fever, Developmental Delay, Urethral Stricture, Sexual dysfunctions and disorders in males as well as females attract my attention, therefore, I love to solve these cases.
Apart from Homeopathy, I am M.A in English Literature from Punjab University. I have been teaching English at Post Graduate National College Rawalpindi for 5 years. So I am holding two noble professions. I have written more than 6000 articles on different subjects. To be more specific I have authored different websites as well.