- 1 Sulphur 200 Uses – Sulphur 30 Homeopathy Benefits – Sulphur Homeopathic Materia Medica
- 2 Constitution and Physiognomy
- 3 Physiological Action
- 4 Physio-pathological Changes (Pathology)
- 5 Characteristic Mental Symptoms (Psychology)
- 6 Characteristic Physical Guiding Symptoms
- 7 Important Characteristic Features
- 8 General Modalities
- 9 Remedy Relationships
- 10 Comparison
- 11 Dosage
- 12 Note
Sulphur 200 Uses – Sulphur 30 Homeopathy Benefits – Sulphur Homeopathic Materia Medica
Potency: 3x, 6x, 12x, 30, 200, 1000 or 1M, 10M.
Want to see Sulphur benefits in Hindi or Urdu?
Add our website to Google Translate to get the Hindi version.
- Standing is the worst position
- DIRTY, FILTHY PEOPLE, prone to skin affections (Psor). Aversion to bath or being washed
- Weak, empty, gone feeling.
- DIARRHEA, DRIVES The Patient Out of bed in the morning, AROUND 5-6 AM
- Pain in the stomach at about 11 am.
Source: Mineral Kingdom
Prover: Dr. Hahnemann
Synonyms: Flowers of Sulphur, Brimstone
Thermal Relationship: Hot patient
Miasmatic Background: Psora; it is the leading antipsoric medicine
Duration of Action: 40-60 days
Introduction and History: Almost 2000 years ago, Sulphur as medicine was known to the world. Almost at the very dawn of medical science. It was Hahnemann who developed its hidden curative virtues by going through the process of potentization. As a result of that, he revealed its true sphere of action on the human beings during sickness. It is the king of antipsoric medicine. In addition, it is also leading antipsoric medicine. Sulphur is also one of the greatest polychrest remedies available in Materia medica. The first proving of Sulphur consists of 151 symptoms in Materia Medica pura of Dr. Hahnemann. In Allen’s Encyclopaedia, it contains 4083 symptoms. It is an antipsoric, deep acting, constitutional and specific medicine.
Preparation and Parts Used: Triturations of ‘flowers of sulphur’ are made with sugar of milk and higher potencies are produced from 3c, a saturated solution of sulphur in absolute alcohol constitutes the mother tincture.
Description: Sulphur is a non-metallic, yellow, brittle substance. It is available in abundance in Italy and Sicily. In the organic world, we come across Sulphur everywhere. It is because this element produces a necessary component of the albuminoids, a class of compounds available in all animal and vegetable structures. Animal hair and the necessary oil of onion, garlic and mustard are the organic materials which are rich in Sulphur.
Constitution and Physiognomy
- Sulphuris especially suitable for lean, thin, slender individuals with stoop shoulders; they walk and sit stooped, are nervous, plethoric, active and quick tempered. Standing is the most uneasy position.
- Adapted to those who are dirty, filthy and likely to get skin affections.
Ailments From: Heat of the sun, suppression of skin diseases, alcohol, overexertion.
Seat of Action (Pharmacodynamics): Circulation, rectum, glands, soles, nutrition, mucous membranes, joints, serous membranes, skin, vertex, portal system, urethra.
- Sulphur is a mild laxative and a diaphoretic.
- In full doses, it causes discomfort to the stomach and intestines; increases the secretions of the intestinal glands and supports peristaltic action.
- Its repeated ingestion for any length of time causes emaciation, anemia, tremor and great weakness.
- It is expelled through the skin, producing roughness and exfoliation, vesicular, eczematous, furuncular and other forms of eruptions.
- Symptoms of poisoning are those of asphyxia and muscular tremors accompanied by convulsions and death.
Physio-pathological Changes (Pathology)
- It works specially on the nervous system affecting primarily the venous capillary system and through it affecting profoundly the complete vegetative area.
- Works on the venous circulation, causing a sort of plethora; it is the result of irregularities in the distribution of blood by which certain parts of the body are congested. Blood is darker in color and richer in white blood cells. Sulphur’s action is centrifugal, from within outwards.
- Has a great understanding for the skin, causing different forms of eruptions mostly papular and resembling scabies with itching and burning.
- Causes venous plethora. It has portal stasis manifesting as redness at the muco-cutaneous junctions like lips, nostrils and anus, etc.
- Works on the rectum causing diarrhea or constipation. Also causes hemorrhoids. It affects the brain, causing some alterations in the functions of that organ. It also works on the spine producing irritation.
- Genitalia or sex organs are always excited by Sulphur. It also particularly affects the lymphatic glandular system.
- Works on mucous membranes of the eyes, urethra, rectum and
- Sulphur has been regarded as a capillary stimulant to the circulation of the skin and mucous membranes, and to the venous system of the pelvis.
Characteristic Mental Symptoms (Psychology)
- Forgetfullness; great weakness of memory for proper names.
- Very self centred, no regard for others.
- Difficult thinking. Delusions; that he is immensely rich.
- Dwells on religious or philosophical speculations.
- Strong tendency to cry. Timidity and great tendency to be frightened. Strong Suicidal tendency.
- Everything looks pretty which the patient takes a fancy to; even rags seem beautiful.
- Preoccupied all the time. Childish annoyance in grown up people, irritable.
- Averse to business, imagines providing wrong things to people, causing their death.
- The person wears a paper crown, thinking he is his majesty, the king.
- Nervous temperament and hypochondriacal nature.
- Happy dreams wake him up singing at night.
- Great stubbornness, dislikes having anyone near him.
- Sensation of movement in the abdomen, as of a child.
- Dullness; misplaces or cannot find proper words while writing or
- Vertigo while standing or
Characteristic Physical Guiding Symptoms
Faintness: Sinking, faint, all gone sensation at 11 am, must have something to eat; in dyspepsia of drunkards; cannot wait for lunch.
Congestion: Congestion of single parts such as nose, eyes, and chest etc.
Burning: Burning in several parts of the body. Constant heat on top of the head, vertex along with burning in soles and palms at night, wishes to cool them so puts them out of the blanket.
Diarrhea: Diarrhea after midnight, without pain, forcing patient out of bed early in the morning.
Constipation: Large stools, painful; afraid to pass stool due to pain; alternating with diarrhea.
Air hunger: Experiences suffocated, desires to open doors and windows, particularly at night.
Ill-nourished: Dirty, sallow, weak child.
Menses: Too soon, protracted, profuse, menorrhagia (excessive bleeding); has not been well since her last miscarriage.
Itching: Violent itching of skin at night, the parts are sensitive to air, washing and touch and painful, burning when scratched.
Boils: Coming in crops in different parts of the body, or a single boil is taken over by another as soon as the first gets healed.
Redness: The holes of the body very red, very red ears, red eyelids, red nostrils, red mouth of urethra, red vulva; lips bright red as if blood will burst out.
Periodicity: Everyday at 11 am appears to be famished; weak, empty feeling in stomach at about 11 am on daily basis, relieved by eating. Periodical headache, occurring once every week; asthma attack every eight days.
Ascending: In paralysis of legs, numbness expands upto the navel. In rheumatism, symptoms expand to the upper portion of the body.
Relapses: Complaints that are continually returning, person seems to get almost well when the disease relapses again and again.
Excoriation: Discharges are excoriating and offensive in nature. Catarrhal discharges excoriate the parts over which they flow.
Absorbing power: Sulphur absorbs inflammatory exudations or serous into the brain, joints, pleura, lungs etc.
Uncomfortable: Standing is the most uncomfortable position for the patient of Sulphur, they are unable to remain standing. Every standing position is uncomfortable and unbearable.
Cravings: Intense desire for alcohol, beer, sweets, acid and whisky, etc.
Offensive: All discharges are offensive and dirty in nature.
Aversions: Great aversion to meat, milk and business.
Skin: Itching, scratching makes the condition better; feels good to scratch; scratching causes burning, gets worse from the heat of the bed.
Hot: Though the patient of Sulphur is hot, yet persistently refuses to take a bath.
Reactive powers: When selected medicines with full care are unable to produce a favourable effect. Especially in acute diseases, it triggers the reactive power of the system.
Chronic alcoholism: Dropsy and other illnesses of drunkards; ‘they reform,’ but are continually relapsing.
Suffocative attacks: Nocturnal suffocative attacks, wishes the doors and windows open; is suddenly wide awake at night; drowsy in the afternoon, after sunset, remains awake the whole night.
Important Characteristic Features
Skin: It is a very beneficial medicine for skin diseases. It is prescribed in all sorts of skin eruptions. Skin is dry, unhealthy, scaly; every little injury suppurates. Itching, burning, worse scratching and washing. Pimply eruptions, pustules, hang nails and cracks or fissures in the skin. Excoriation, especially in folds. Feeling of a band around the bones. Skin affections after local medication. Pruritus, especially from warmth, in the evening, often recurs during spring period, in damp weather. Suppression of skin disease causes diarrhea. Also a good drug for pus formation or suppuration. Every little injury forms pus. There are boils and abscesses, especially during summer season. Boils come in crops or a single boil is accompanied by another.
Baby: It is suitable for psoric, scrofulous babies who have swollen bellies. The child is dirty, filthy and yet cannot tolerate to be bathed or washed. This type of baby experiences morning diarrhea which is without pain and involuntary, acrid, causes redness and soreness of the anal hole with itching. Boils which come in crops or a single boil is accompanied by another as soon as the first one gets healed. Babies are likely to develop worm infestations with intense desire for sweets. The child cries before defecating. These children are mentally lethargic, they cannot stand in a place, even for sometime, standing is the worst position for the patient of Sulphur.
Diarrhea: The diarrhea of Sulphur is very characteristic. It contains changeable stools, yellow, slimy and in scrofulous children may have undigested food. It is worse in the morning at about 4 or 5 o’clock, when it awakens the person, driving him out of bed in great haste. Diarrhea occurs due to suppression of skin disease and alcoholism. Involuntary and painless diarrhoea. Stool has undigested particles; is whitish, greenish, Very offensive and acrid. Diarrhea alternates with constipation.
Constipation: It is a very helpful medicine for constipation. Constipation occurs due to alcoholism and suppression of skin eruptions. The patient fears to pass stool on account of pain. Stool is very hard, dry, knotty and also like as if burnt, large and painful. Difficult and painful discharge of feces from the body. Constipation alternates with diarrhea. Pain compels the person to give up the effort; discharge of poop is painful to parts over which it passes. There is an ineffectual desire to defecate, with a sensation of heat and discomfort in the rectum.
Piles (hemorrhoids): This medicine corresponds to ailments producing hemorrhoids and to problems resulting from piles which have stopped bleeding; constipation is present, urge to stool and itching in the anus. Piles are very painful. They may be blind or bleeding in nature. Anus is red and sore. Blood is venous; with itching and burning in the anus.
Amelioration: Dry warm weather, motion, lying on the right side and open air.
Aggravation: When standing, warmth of bed, bathing, at rest, washing, changeable weather.
Complementary: Acon, Nux-v, Psor, Aloe, Bad.
Antidotes: Acon, Puls, Rhus-t, Sep, Camph, Chin, Merc.
Antidotal to: Chin, Iod, Rhus-t, Sep, Merc, Nit-ac.
Follow well: Psor, Calc.
Inimical: Sulph; follows Lyc.
Compare: Psor, Alum, Rumx, Aloe.
Epilepsy from suppressed eruptions: Psor, Sulph, Agar.
Patient gets better for sometime then comes to a standstill: Psor, Caust, Sulph.
Burning round spot on vertex: Graph, Calc, Sulph.
Experience hunger, must eat every few hours, anxious and worried if he does not eat: Sulph, Cina, Iod.
Children dislike washing: Am-c, Sulph, Ant-c.
Canker sores in the mouth: Ant-c, Sulph, Arg-n.
Burning and smarting during and after micturation: Sulph, Kreos.
Constant urge to urinate on seeing running water: Lyss, Canth, Sulph.
Desire for sweets: Med, Sulph.
Tendency to faint: Nux-m, Sulph, Nux-v.
Migraine with burning in vertex during menopause: Lach, Sulph, Sang.
Fever returning annually; paroxysms every spring: Lach, Sulph, Carbo-V.
Constipation from inactivity of rectum: Bry, Sulph, Op.
Alternate constipation and diarrhea: Sulph, Verat, Nux-V.
Diarrhea – sudden, imperative, must run for the stool: Sulph, Psor, Aloe.
Painful enlargement of breasts during climacteric: Sulph, Sang.
Attacks of fainting from least exertion: Sulph, Verat, Carbo-v.
Periods never at night time; stopping and starting again: Nux-v, Sulph
Burning of every organ or tissue of the body: Phos, Sulph, Ars.
- 12c potency is a good one to start treatment with, going higher and higher when the symptoms again ask for it.
- Works in all potencies from lowest to highest potency according to the susceptibility of each patient. 200c or higher potencies in chronic cases.
Repetition: Tolerate repetition well in certain specific diseases. Single dose of high potency in suppressions or chronic conditions.
Therapeutic Value: Acne, Anemia, Emaciation, Fever, Feet burning, Vertigo, Lung affections, Menstrual disorders, Diarrhea, Rheumatism, Skin Affections, Asthma, Biliousness, Boils, Catarrh, Cough, Dysentery, Eczema, Enuresis, Epilepsy, Eructation, Eye affections, Feet burning, Gout, Hemorrhoids, Headache, Neuralgia, Pleurisy, Pregnancy disorders, Rheumatism, Skin affections, Throat affections, Worms, etc.
- Sulphur is the chronic of Aconitum and follows it well in pneumonia cases and other acute diseases.
- Calcarea must not be prescribed or used before Sulphur.
- To a sleepless patient, if Sulphuris given at night, it causes sleep, otherwise it triggers insomnia or at least disturbs sleep.
- When Sulphur fails, consider using Psorinum and Tuberculinum.
Note: Sulphur is a deep acting medicine and must be used only after consulting a competent doctor and self-medication should be avoided.
I had accomplished D. H. M. S in 2008, I have been into practice (in Rawalpindi & Islamabad) since 11 years. During my practice, I have been treating acute as well as chronic disorders. I had also completed MHS (Masters of Human Sexuality) in 2014 from SAIHS. Dengue fever, Developmental Delay and Paralysis attract my attention, therefore, I love to solve these cases.
Apart from Homeopathy, I am M.A in English Literature from Punjab University. I have been teaching English at Post Graduate National College Rawalpindi for 5 years. So I am holding two noble professions. I have written more than 6000 articles on different subjects. To be more specific I have authored different websites as well.